In the interest of social distancing and because of limited staff availability as we continue to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, the following changes to our clinic services are effectively immediately:
- Vital Statistics (birth and death records) will be closed to walk-in visitors. If you need assistance with these records, please call 859-899-2226.
The vital statistics office is located at 650 Newtown Pike at the Lexington-Fayette County Health Department. It registers all births in Fayette County both locally and with the state vital statistics office. Fayette County deaths are reported by local facilities who file a provisional report of death which also permits transport for burial.
- Records for births in Fayette County and all of Kentucky from 1911 to present.
- Records for death in Fayette County and all of Kentucky from 1911 to present.
- Verification of births to the military, probation officers, or any official office (example) the Social Security Office.
- Affidavits for Declaration of Paternity.
Notary services for vital statistics related issues.
Communicable Disease Affidavits for funeral homes and the coroner’s office for transport for foreign burials.
Assistance with genealogical research by appointment only.
Information on laws regulating vital statistics.
Applications for a certified copy of the birth and death certificate.
Verification of Birth
The local office of vital statistics gives verifications of birth to clients requesting them. Only open records are disclosed. Addresses, social security numbers, medical information and personal information are not disclosed. We do not charge for the verification of birth.
Obtaining Birth, Death, Marriage and Divorce Certificates
Certified copies of each of these are only available through the state office of vital statistics in Frankfort. Visit the Kentucky Vital Records site for details on ordering over the phone, over the internet, by mail, and in person.
1-4 p.m. Monday and Thursday
8:30-11:30 a.m. Wednesday
To process a home birth, please contact the state office at (502) 564-4212.