On this page you will find a list of resources relating to various health education topics such as child care, diabetes, breastfeeding support, and nutrition.
Pregnant Women, New Mothers And Their Families Often Have Questions About Breastfeeding, Or Need Help In Getting Started. The Breastfeeding Support Services Program Offers Telephone Counseling For Families With Questions, As Well As Information On Breastfeeding-Related Services And Suppliers In Lexington And Around Central Kentucky. Extra Services Are Available To Families Participating In The WIC Program. For More Information, Call (859) 288-2348.
HANDS (Health Access Nurturing Development Services) Is A Voluntary Educational Program For New And Expectant Parents. Our Specially Trained Staff Partner With Parents To Offer Support, Answer Questions, Build Parenting Skills And Provide Valuable Information About Healthy Growth And Development Throughout Pregnancy And The First Two Years Of Baby’s Life. Any Parent May Qualify And Services Are Free. In Order To Enroll, A Parent Or Caregiver Must Be Pregnant Or Have A Baby Under 90 Days Old.
“HANDS Is An Incredible Program That We Would Recommend For Any New Parents Rather Young Or Old. Thanks To HANDS Our Family Has Faith That Our Daughter Is Right On Track When We Go To Our Child Wellness Visits. We Credit HANDS With Our Daughter’s Advance Vocabulary And Love Of Reading. It Has Given Us The Best Advice And Tools To Encourage Learning And Play, As Well As, Ways To Manage Stress.” HANDS Parent 2020
“We Love The HANDS Program! Our Experience Began When I Was Pregnant With My Son, Which Was Over 4 Years Ago. One Daughter Later, We Are Still Learning New Things From Each HANDS Visit. Our Family Support Worker Keeps Us Up To Date With All The Child Development Information. She Comes Up With The Greatest (And Usually Free!) Activities And Homemade Toys. She Motivates And Encourages Us, Helping Us Be The Best Parents We Can Be. Through HANDS We Have Our Own Personal Teacher And Cheerleader, And I’m Pretty Sure Our Kids Think She Is A Member Of The Family.” HANDS Parent 2020
For Information Or To Enroll In The HANDS Program, Contact Us At 859-288-2338 Or Email HANDS@LFCHD.Org
To View Videos And Learn More About The HANDS Program Statewide Please Visit: Www.KYHands.Com
Planning An Event At Your Office, School, Church, Or Social Group? We Can Help With Presenters, Displays And Information.
- Organizations May Check Out Our “Grab ‘N Go” Box With Health Department Services Information For Use At An Event. We Also Have A Variety Of Health Education Displays And Props That Are Available For You To Borrow Free Of Charge.*
- You Can Build Your Own Display! Choose Up To Four (4) Of The Interchangeable Posters On The Topics Of Sugar, Tobacco, Healthy Eating, And Handwashing To Make Your Own Three-Fold Display. *Value To Replace If Lost Or Damaged Is $50 Each.
- You Can Also Choose From One Of Our Set Displays Or Additional Props And Activity Guides. Click Here To View Your Options.
- Download Our Health Fair Planning Guide For Step-By-Step Instruction To Create A Successful Event.
For More Information Or If You Would Like To Invite Health Department Staff To Participate In Your Health Fair Planning Committee Or Attend Your Event, Call (859) 288-2446. Or, Fill Out A Form Here:
Our Registered Dietitians Improve The Nutrition Of Adults And Children Living In Lexington Through The Following Programs:
- Worksite Wellness Programs.
- Several Diabetes Programs Each Year, Including Monthly Support Groups.
- Farm To School Program.
- 5210 Presentations.
- MyPlate Presentations.
- Health Fairs For Community Groups, Businesses, Or Schools.
To Ask A Nutrition Question, Call A Registered Dietitian At (859) 288-2446.
- Nutrition & Diabetes Referral Form: We Are Not Currently Offering This Service, But Our Dietitians Are Available To Answer Questions And/Or Assist You In Finding A Qualified Dietitian Offering Individual Nutrition Counseling In Fayette County. We Continue To Offer Diabetes Prevention And Diabetes Self-Management Education And Support Programs, Free Of Charge. For More Information Or For Questions, Call 859-288-2446.
Nutrition & Healthy Eating
- Tailgating 101
- Brown Bagging It
- Quick And Easy Breakfast Ideas
- Eat Smart Kentucky: Guidelines For Healthy Foods And Beverages At Meetings, Gatherings And Events